Friday 15 February 2013

A Narconon Graduate's Story - text 1



A Narconon Graduate's Story

A My name is Eirik and I am 29 years old and have been on drugs since I was 14. Recently a 13 years old girl got an overdose at a private party. It could have been me 15 years ago, but I made it through the hell and came out on the other side. At that time I started smoking hash and took some pills, I also started with other things to see if they where as good as people said. I was so lucky that I had a work the first years I was addicted to heroin.
B Actually I had everything I could wish, a girlfriend I loved, I had a good car and an apartment, we got a wonderful son, and I had one more thing, a heroin use. This made me start lying to my girlfriend and friends. The most terrible was that they didn't even know about my addiction and therefore couldn't understand what was going on with me.
C During the time when I started using more and more drugs, the things slowly fell apart. I lost my job, I couldn't pay the bills, my drug use cost 1700-2200 Euro per week, I couldn't contribute to my family and the relationship started to fall apart too. But it didn't bother me. I have been in and out of many rehab centres, but without the expected result. The only result was that I could stay pretty drug free while at the rehab centre. But I could feel that my life was not getting handled there, I used it as a kind of "Vacation" from the streets and got some kilos on my body. During that time I lost my car, girlfriend, apartment and family. I ended up on the street, I didn't know what to do and my addiction became worse. I had to steal, make burglary and sell drugs to get for my own use. In the end I thought that all hope was gone and prepared myself to die as an addict. Then I heard about Narconon, something there should change my life drastically.
D I got an approval from the commune to do the program and to try for the last time to get drug free. When I arrived to Narconon Denmark I was scared to death, I had an idea that it would be a hell to get through the withdrawal with all the abstinences and I almost couldn't confront it, but I was wrong. The way they helped me, by the help of vitamins and assists, did that I got pretty easy through the withdrawal. The care I experienced at Narconon Denmark, I have never experienced before any place I have been. I could feel that they had been through the same and had a technology they understood to use.
E I can't think of anything I don't like about Narconon. If anything then it is that you gain so many kilos. The staff members are careful and help the person through all the difficult periods. The place is 100% drug free. I have got a really good relationship with my family again and look forward to be a real dad for my son again. I have found out that it is possible to change condition in life if you come to the right place and that place was Narconon Denmark for me.


contribute – přispívat
fall apart – rozpadat se
withdrawal with all the abstinences – překonat abstinenční příznaky


1) Read the article and match each of the headings to a paragraph.
1 Things started to fall apart
2 Lying to my family
3 Introduction
4 My return back to life
5 I went to Narconon

2) Read the article again and answer the questions.
1 What is the text about?
2 What was Eirik’s problem? What do we know about his life and family?
3 What is Narconon?
4 How did Narconon help him?
5 What do we know about Eirik’s life today?

3) Explain the following words.
1 overdose
2 addicted
3 rehab centre
4 bill
5 burglary

What does the life in a rehab centre look like? Is there any similar organisation near Jihlava? What are its activities? Under what condition can the clients stay there? What types of rehab centres do you know?

Adjusted to:
http://www.narconon.org/drug-rehab/centers/narconon-denmark.html

4 comments:

  1. 1)1.C
    2.B
    3.A
    4.E
    5.D
    2)1.The text discusses Eirik and his drug problem. It's about his way out of addiction in Denmark
    2.Eirik's problem was that he failed drugs and could no longer lead the proper life of his drug dominated his life, and he could not live normally. While taking drugs he lost his entire family, his girlfriend and his son.
    3.Narconon is a municipality in Denmark that runs a program for drug addicts where people go through abstinence and learn to live without drugs
    4.Narconon helped him gain weight and kill his drug addiction. They help in difficult times, finding out how they can change their living conditions
    5.Today she has a good relationship with her family returned to her girlfriend and looks forward to her son
    3)1.overdose is a situation where a person takes much more of any substance than the norm and his body cannot handle and a person can also die.
    2. addictive physically and mentally dependent on a particular substance, and unable to stop taking it without incurring adverse effects.
    3.rehab center is a center for people who are for example after surgery and need to get involved again or they are also centers for drug addicts where they help them from their addiction
    4.bill is the amount due for the goods or services supplied, as stated in the printed or written statement of fees.
    5.burglary it is a entry into a building illegally with intent to commit a crime, especially theft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1)C,B,A,E,D
    2)
    1. This text is about Eirok, who was addicted to drugs. He lost his family, girlfriend and housing. After healing in Denmark he began to live again.
    2. He was taking several drugs. He has a girlfriend and a son.
    3. It´s organization in Denmark who help people with drug addiction.
    4. An organization that helped him from drug addiction. He also gained weight and could return to normal life.
    5. Now Eirik has a relationship with his family and wants to be a good father for his son.
    3)
    1 overdose - it is a condition where a person takes a large dose of drugs. Person can die.
    2 addicted - A situation where a person cannot control his behavior without a given thing.
    3 rehab centre - A facility where people are treated with movement problems. For example
    4 bill - it´s an amount of money owed for goods supplied or services rendered
    5 burglary - When a person gets into a stranger's house to steal expensive things

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. C, B, A, E, D
    2.
    1- This article is about Eirik who is 15 years on the drugs. He lost everything and he was cured of addiction in Denmark.
    2- His biggest problem is take drugs and love drugs more than life. He had girlfriend, son and good job.
    3- Narconon is place in Denmark. It is help peple with drug addiction.
    4- Narconon helped him becouse he could feel that they had been through the same and had a technology they understood to use.
    5- Today he is clean and has good relationship with son and girlfriend.
    3.
    It is situation when someone take a lot of drugs.
    It is situation when someone can not live without certain things.
    It is place where people are treated after an accident or surgery.
    It is thing that has to be paid like electricity or water and more.
    It is situation when someone take things to another person in their house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1- headings paragraph
    1-C, 2-B, 3-A, 4-E, 5-D
    2- questions
    1. Article is about Eirik life and his problems.Eirik had problems with drugs.
    2. Eirik had problem with drugs. He smoked hash, He took some pills, he addicted to heroin.
    3. Eirik have got girlfriend and son, flat and car. But Eirik´s friends and family did not know about his problems with drugs.
    4. Narconon is the drug program of church of scientology. Eirik went to Denmark.
    5. Narconon helped him with vitamins and assistants.
    6. Eirik life today: Eirik has a really good relatinship with his family and looks forward to being his son´s real father again.
    3- Words
    overdose- It is situation, when somebody take more substance or other than the right dose.
    addicted- It is situation when somebody have to have some substance. It is physically and Mentally.
    Bill- It is situation, when you have to know what you buy how much it cost. You have to finaly calculate with money.
    Burglary- It is enty into a building illegally with to commit a crime.
    rehab centre- It is place where help when somebody has got problem with alcohol, drugs and next.

    4- qustions to

    ReplyDelete